This recipe turned out great! I full-on made it up as I went, as usual. I was a little worried that the water content from the tofu and kale would make this a hot mess, but it turned to only have a little excess moisture and the TASTE was so good. The tofu worked very well and I actually did not miss the ricotta. Don't get me wrong, I love ricotta, I just did not have any and I knew I could make it work with the tofu. I also used Kale and whole wheat tortillas in this. I did not have enough lasagna noodles (I planned to used noodles in this meal but when I opened the pantry, there were 2 noodles left in the box) so I got creative and used tortillas. You could make this with lasagna noodles and ricotta too, but I really liked how mine turned out with tortillas and tofu. I loved the Kale in this too, It brings such a solid and hearty texture. I also loved the white beans all mashed up. It was a brilliant call! It really gave it the glue the layers needed plus more fiber, protein, and just really delicious! You will also like my Mexican Pie. ~Enjoy
- 1 Silken Tofu-drained and pressed or 1 container of low-fat Ricotta cheese
- 4 lightly steamed Kale leaves
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas of 4-5 lasagna noodles-cooked
- 1 can of White Beans, rinsed and drained then mashed up
- 1 can of tomatoes or fresh
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbs crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place tofu on paper towels and place between plates. This will allow excess water to drain out. About 20 mins.
- Next place 1 tsp olive oil in a pan and saute onion for about 2-3 mins. Next add garlic for about 1-2 mins.
- In a large bowl, add tofu and break up and mix very well untill it actually looks like ricotta. Add the onion and garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, and tomatoes. Mix well.
- In a small bowl take the white beans and mash most of them up.
- Now time to layer. Put foil in a pie pan with cooking spray. Place about 1/3 of the tomato sauce first. Add a tortilla. Then add the ricotta mixture. Followed by a Kale leaf. Add the white bean mixture to the Kale leave. Add more sauce and repeat with the tortilla, ricotta mixture, and then kale leave and back to the white bean.
- Last layer top with the last of the ricotta cheese and sprinkle 1/4 Parmesan cheese over.
- Cook at 350 F for about 20-25 mins.