Here it is! The most colorful, vibrant, healthy, and delicious Spring/Summer dish. If you are looking for a healthy side dish or salad to have with an addition to any meal, look no further. So fresh and unique, I just adore this recipe. Two main reasons...BEETS and CARROTS. But not just any normal beets and carrots you see, but super special ones! I am so very blessed with the produce I get here in L.A. I hit up the Farmer's Markets at least once a week and I get such a variety of produce. That is how this salad came about...I just had all this amazing food and I wanted to make something so new and fresh. What I am hooked on, is the variety of different fruits and vegetable I can get my hands but especially carrots. All the colors are stunning: yellow, purple, white, red, and of course orange. You must try these carrots... So much better than just orange- B-o-r--i-n-g!! Now with the beets, HAVE YOU TRIED GOLDEN BEETS? Oh my word they are amazing and even better...no bloody hands, chins, or crap on your clothes that you normally get from the red beets. 🙂 (I used both red and golden in this recipe.) I love this salad because it is a really loose recipe. NOT TO MENTION A FANTASTIC MONI MEAL FOR YOU!!! You can add many different things, different herbs, veggies, and fruits, just use your imagination. I love how I make it and I did it in steps: First, I tossed the carrots with the dressing and herbs. Second, I wanted a crunchy flavor so I used Pumpkin Seeds and Sunflower Seeds. Third, I tossed in some beets and clementines that I had for a sweet-juicy hit. Fourth, I crunched up some whole-wheat cracker's for a crispy topping. NOTES: With the carrots you can prepare them in several ways; grated, or use a Y peeler to make them in ribbons, or half and quarter and cut as thin as you can to have into match sticks. I like them in ribbons, it makes it so luxurious. I like to serve this with warm pita bread on the side. Try all my Healthy Salads. Enjoy~
- 5-6 large carrots, peeled and thinly chopped- (I make them into Ribbons)
- A few sprigs of mint, finely chopped
- A few sprigs of chives, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 of a lemon
- A handful of seeds, I use Pumpkin and Sunflower
- 1-2 beets, (red, golden, or both) cooked and sliced
- 2-3 small clementines, slliced
- Whole-wheat crackers crumbled up-for topping
- Pita Bread, warm (to serve with)
- Place carrots in a med. bowl. Add the chopped herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss well. Pour in extra virgin olive oil, squeeze in the lemon juice from the 1/2 lemon and toss well.
- Add the pumpkin and sunflower seeds along with the cooked beets and clementines. Toss well.
- Serve on to plates or bowls and top with crumbled crackers.
- Serve with warm pita bread and ENJOY!