Now this recipe turned out GREAT! What a perfect Spring dish. I wanted to create and explore something new and what a success. I had all of these ingredients and you might too. I like to make this with either using edamame or fresh English peas. English peas are hard to score but at my local Farmers' Market, they are usually there and I am a happy girl. The flavors are so fresh and complementary to one another. You get the sweetness from the cinnamon, raisins, and butternut squash. Then you get the flavors from the onion, garlic, and seasoning like Turmeric and Cumin. Not bad so far, right? Not only is this healthy, but it is so vibrant and a true Spring Meal. I love adding whole-wheat couscous (or quinoa) but you could swap whatever you prefer. Enjoy! Try my other couscous recipes too.
- 1 can of Organic Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- hearty pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon stevia or sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 1/2 cups lower-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and crushed or fresh is fine
- 2 cups organic butternut squash, I use frozen
- 1 cup frozen edamame, peas, or English peas, thawed
- 6 cups hot cooked whole-wheat couscous or quinoa
- lime wedges, optional for garnish
- Cook couscous (or quinoa) and let sit.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in tomato paste and next 6 ingredients (through turmeric); sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add broth and next 4 ingredients (through edamame).
- Put couscous in bowls and serve with the chili on top. Or you can simply add the couscous to the chili and mix it all up.
- Top with lime wedges if using. Serve now or wait the next day and it is even better. Enjoy!