A meat-less quiche that is easy to make and looks like you spent all day making it! This was an experiment for me the first time I made it. I normally would pair tomato and basil with an Italian cheese like Parmesan Regganio, but I tried it with Colby-Monterrey Jack as it was what I had. The verdict... A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I love the sun-dried tomato and the tomato combo, it is just soooo good together. I match this with a bowl of soup on the side and it is such a treat! I love coming home from a busy day and having this right there waiting for me. Heaven! What I love about meals like this is...breakfast, lunch, or dinner! It is very easy to make. You could make this without the crust (for LOW-CARB) but I highly recommend using one. Look for whole-wheat so you can feel good about eating a hearty and healthy meal. You can serve this with a fresh, simple salad or soup like I mentioned too. Also try my Veggie Quiche and all my Egg Dishes... So many! Enjoy~
Serves about 4-6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, with the oil
- 2 tbs bread crumbs, Italian style is great
- 2 tbs fresh chopped basil, divided
- 4 eggs beaten, you can use all egg whites too
- 1/2 cup your choice of milk, I use soy
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust, Whole-Wheat
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F . Bake pie shell in preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until soft; Now sprinkle chopped tomatoes with bread crumbs and 1 tbs basil, add to pan and then saute 1 minute, then add the sun dried tomatoes and cook another minute or so. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 cup shredded cheese in the bottom of pie crust. Layer onion/tomato mixture over cheese. Cover with egg mixture. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Garnish with remaining 1 tbs fresh basil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until filling is puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.