Here we have a healthier and tastier version of our favorite meal as a kid…I seem to make this a little different every time. I throw in what I have fresh at the time, maybe tomatoes or mushrooms…sometimes I add a veggie sausage too. Regardless, it is always a hit and one of my husband's favorites! If you want more of my pasta recipes to browse through, than look at all my healthy Pasta Dishes! Have you tried my Famous... Moni Quinoa Mac N Cheese yet?!
- 2 cups (8 oz.) whole-wheat penne
- 1 lb. spinach leaves, trimmed (you could use frozen, but i like fresh best)
- 1/4 cup olive oil or butter
- 2 cups fat-free milk, or almond milk and soymilk can work
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs, grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced- (2 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg- secret ingredient..shhhh
- Breadcrumbs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Coat a 9 by 11 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook penne according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large pot over med-high heat. Add spinach, and cook 2-3 mins until wilted. Drain, and press out any liquid that remains. Coarsely chop spinach and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over med-heat. Whisk flour and cook 2 mins stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook 5 mins or until sauce has thickened whisking constantly. Remove from heat, then add penne, spinach, 1/2 cup Parmesan, garlic, and nutmeg, and anything else you want. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese over mixture and breadcrumbs if using. Bake for 45 mins to 1 hour or until top is browned.