Enter the most moist, moist, moist, fluffy, and amazing Pumpkin-Apple Muffins! Can you tell I am excited? Well, I am. I can admit, that every FALL, I go through a pumpkin phase and want to add it to absolutely everything. I just love Pumpkin and it is definitely so good for you, so it is a good problem to have. This recipe is just fabulous. Real ingredients, real flavors, and the texture is just awesome. Did I mention I use a Streusel Topping? Plus, a normal muffin can be around 450 calories! Well, not here. Mine are around 150 calories, so you can relax. It is incredible the smell you get in your house after baking these. I wish you could bottle the smell. I love the apple pieces in this recipe too and by putting in a little extra work by sauteing the apples, it makes this recipe! These look pretty fancy as well. Apples are in their prime right now too, so stock up! NOTE: How can a muffin recipe taste so good but be healthier you ask? I make them lighter by using half flour/half whole-wheat, egg whites rather than all eggs, and coconut oil and applesauce together rather than all oil. Plus only 2 tablespoons of butter...not 1 cup! You will not even know how much more figure friendly this makes them! Plus add anything else you want, as this is a loose recipe. No matter how you make them...The topping is just brilliant, of course. I think it is the grand finale but if you want to skip it, you can as these muffins hold up on their own just fine. I have another similiar Moni Pumpkin Muffin Recipe- (a more dense muffin with lots of fiber.) Or try all my Moni Muffin Recipes! Enjoy. Follow Moni to connect on Face Book, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (-to get a look of my everyday eats!)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour and 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sugar of choice)
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 tbs Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten-(or to keep vegan- use a flax egg)
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup-1 cup of almond milk (start with 3/4 cup and see if you need more)
- 2 1/2 tbs of coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs applesauce
- 1 tbs butter for apples + 1 tbs for topping
- 2 cups finely chopped apples, I like the skin on but you can peel off if you want-equals about 2 apples
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbs flour
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbs butter
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line muffin tin with liners.
- The biggest secret to this recipe is to saute the apples. So in a pan, saute the chopped apples with a dash or two of cinnamon and 1 tbs spoon of butter. (Use a non-dairy butter for vegan). Set aside and let cool.
- Combine all the dry ingredients; flour through salt and whisk (or sift) together. In another bowl; mix egg whites, pumpkin, almond milk, coconut oil, vanilla, and applesauce together.
- Mix in the dry ingredients. Stir lightly until combined and moistened. Fold in apples. Fill paper-lined muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Now mix the Streusel topping ingredients together and cut in the remaining 1 tbs of butter for a coarse texture. NOW THE BEST PART: Sprinkle each muffin with a generous 1 tsp of the topping.
- Bake at 375 for about 18-25 mins until toothpick comes out clean. Let set in the pan for 10 mins before removing. Enjoy and especially the smell. Store in an airtight container to keep nice and fresh.