- You could use any fruit or any mixture of fruit that you want here. (Wash when you are ready to use them).
- You can also serve with fresh vanilla bean ice cream or a frozen yogurt.
- These squares really though make for a fantastic breakfast or snack.
- If for breakfast, I like to serve with additional fresh fruit like strawberries and pair with a your favorite yogurt.
- You can use all-purpose flour instead of whole-wheat pastry flour if you prefer.
- You can also use a vegan spread such as "Earth Balance" but I usually go with real butter for my crisps/fruit bars.
- 3 cups preferably organic fresh blueberries, washed and patted dry
- 2 tbs Stevia or coconut sugar, or sweetener of choice
- 2 tbs of fresh lemon juice, can use orange juice too
- 3 cups old fashioned oats, can use quick oats
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger spice or fresh chrystallized ginger, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp of lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of butter, (or can use a Vegan spread like Earth Balance)
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 cup sliced almonds (divided)- 1/4 c is for mixture, 3/4 c for topping
OPTIONAL: Serve with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream or a frozen yogurt. If having for a breakfast treat: serve with some yogurt!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 glass baking dish.
- In a med bowl; mix the blueberries, 2 tbs of Stevia, and fresh lemon juice (or orange juice can work). Now you will want to mash about half of this mixture up. Let set for about 10 mins.
- Next combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and 1/4 of the sliced almonds in a large bowl.
- Add the butter to the oat mixture and stir until moistened. Stir in the coconut oil and continue to mix until combined. NOTE: You may want (or need) to add in more butter or oil here if you think you will have a crumbly texture. The key is to have it be able to hold up and you need fats to do that.
- Drop half the mixture in the prepared dish coated with cooking spray - (I like using a Coconut Oil spray). I say drop as it won't pour out! Spread the mixture out into an even layer the best you can and I find using my hands is best.
- Next add the blueberry mixture on top and spread evenly. Now drop the last of the oatmeal crumble mixture over the blueberry. (Be gentle but do pack together pretty well).
- Last step is to now sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup of sliced almonds over. NOTE: During the baking- keep your eye on them so that they do not burn.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool completely before cutting. Can make around 12-15 squares.
Enjoy fresh out of the oven or cooled in the fridge for a treat later. (Fantastic the next day!). One thing for sure is if you add a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream or a favorite frozen yogurt you are good to go. Having this for a breakfast? Great! Serve with a non-fat Greek Yogurt. Enjoy.