So the title really says it all… These are BIG, juicy, creative (they taste like a pot of chili), and you will most definitely want left overs. What is great is you can buy very lean turkey meat and the trick is to add moisture to it. I do this by using a red bell pepper and red onion. These are also great with or without a bun. My husband also really loves these! So there you go, a protein rich meal, a lower-fat burger, and these can be “low-carb.” Make sure to use All-Natural, Organic meat. This recipe makes for 10 patties, you might want to cut that in half if you are just making this for 1-3 people. For a crowd: follow below, most usually want 2 each anyways.
5 servings (Can be 2 burgers each)
- 2 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbs ketchup
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- pinch of cayenne - note: skip if you don't like heat
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbs olive oil
- mayonnaise and/or mustard
- BBQ Sauce and/or ketchup
- tomato slices
- onion slices
- avocado slices buns (optional)
- Make the burgers: Mix all the ingredients together with your hands except the oil, in a bowl.
- Dived the meat mixture into 10 equal-sized patties.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. OR GRILL. Working in batches, cook the burgers, turning once, until lightly browned and cooked though about 7 mins per side (If you want to check it with a instant-read thermometer, look for least 165 F).
- Divide the burgers on plates and dollop each burger with your choice of toppings. Fix with or without buns and pair with a nice, simple green salad. Enjoy!