What is not to love about Kale? If you are not loving Kale by now, it is time to take a bold step! There are so many ways to enjoy it, there are also many varieties of it, my favorite is lacinato (dinosaur kale) that I load up on at the Farmers Market. I love shallots and when you caramelize them, it changes everything. This is easy, could not be healthier for you, and just soooo tasty. This is a common side that I seem to make with many Moni Meals. NOTE: I like to (and you can too) submerge the kale leaves in boiling water to save the effort of washing them and this also retains more of the nutrients. You do not have to though. Try all my Kale Recipes and my Kale Chips too! Enjoy~
- 2 bunches of kale, any kind will do
- 6 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven over med. heat, saute shallots in 1 tbs olive oil for about 6-8 mins. or until soft and caramelized. Add lemon juice and saute another 2-3 mins to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Tear the ruff ends of the kale off and discard. Add whole leaves to the boiling water for 2-3 mins and then drain. Cut leaves into bite-size pieces. Add kale to pan with shallots and saute 1 min. Add remaining 2 tbs oil, and season with salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes if using.