I have another great Mexican dish using tortillas, making it a layered pie. Think lasagna, but Mexican style. This is sooooo good and the beer is the secret…shhhhhhh! Did I mention easy and you can add whatever you fancy, I seem to add whatever veggies I need to use up, you can not mess this up…NOTE: you can easily add some chicken strips to this is you prefer. The toppings are key too, make sure you get all the fixings.
- 1 cheese-cake pan
- 4 tortillas, whole wheat
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 1 large white onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dry cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (15 oz) Black Beans
- 1 (15 oz) Re-fried Beans(vegetarian), to spread on tortillas
- 1 (12 oz) Mexican beer
- 1 pkg frozen corn
- 4 scallions
- Chicken strips, cooked (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In pan, heat 2 tbs canola oil. Add onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper, and any other veggies or ingredients you like. Cook 5-7 mins.
- Add Beer and Beans. Bring to a boil, then simmer 8-10 mins. This will create a great back ground flavor and the alcohol will “sweat” out.
- Add pkg of corn and scallions. (Add cooked chicken strips here, if using.)
- Start the layering. Spray the pan with cooking spray, add a tortilla. Now spread some of the refried beans evenly as glue…Spread the bean mixture over and sprinkle with about 1/2 cup cheese. Add another tortilla and repeat. Top with last tortilla, and spread the remaining bean mixture on top with remaining cheese over that. Cook for about 25-30 mins.
- Serve with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, fresh tomatoes are nice too, and hot sauce!