It is all about the simple things in life. This sauce is so delicious and very good for you. All the store-bought sauces are tricky because you will run into high-sodium content, added-sugar (usually high fructose corn syrup) and where is the freshness? Well, here you have control of what you put in; lower sodium, FRESH ingredients (this makes all the difference), no preservatives, and it is easy!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) crushed tomatoes-or use fresh!
- 1 can (8 oz) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil, or fresh
- 1 tsp dried rosemary, or fresh
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Basil for Garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, 30 seconds more. Add tomatoes, sauce, oregano, basil, rosemary, salt, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Add pasta; turn off heat. Stir in cheese, I use Parmigiano-Reggiano . Top with Fresh Basil (at this point, I just tear some pieces up, throw it on top, because I want to eat and I want to eat now.:) ENJOY!