- You can use butter instead of coconut oil.
- Add in other flavors you like if you want like cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa powder, or cardamom,etc.
- Can make all ahead - then when ready place in the oven.
- Acorn Squash comes in different varieties. Typically the skin is much darker than the squash I have here. Both are delish.
- 1 small acorn squash, preferably organic - I get mine at the Farmers Market
- 3 tbs of coconut oil, or butter- depends on how big your squash is
- 1 1/2 tbs of Pure Canadian Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp pf pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of cinnamon, or try other seasonings if you like!
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Spice, can be optional
- Kosher or Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 475 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With a sharp knife, cut the acorn squash in half. Scrape out the seeds and flesh.
- Put each half cut-side down on a cutting board. Slice off the pointed ends and discard. Now slice the squash crosswise into about 1/2 inch half rings.
- In a small sauce pan or bowl (in microwave), melt 3 tbs of coconut oil (or butter) over low heat. Remove from heat and add in the 1-1 1/2 tbs of pure maple syrup, pure vanilla, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice if using. Stir well. Now you want to brush this mixture over the squash. You can use a brush or place the squash in the pan and coat it by slightly dipping it in. Do both sides. Next place on the baking sheet. Now sprinkle sea salt over lightly. (Reserve some of the sauce and you can see if you prefer to add one more tbs of coconut oil or butter). This will be for after the cooking and if the sauce gets hard - simply warm it up for 10-15 secs in the microwave. A great glaze!
- Roast the squash for about 12-15 mins. Flip the pieces over (tongs are great if you have them!) and continue to roast for about another 10-12 minutes until they are nicely browned and tender when a fork goes through. The bottoms will be browner then the tops. Flip them over again so that the browner side is up. Now if you want you can drizzle over the remaining glaze mixture. Serve warm or great the next day too.
Enjoy! A perfect side dish to any meal!