I first heard about using watermelon in a salad when I had the pleasure to meet Meredith Brokaw in 2008. She has a fantastic cookbook called "Big Sky Cooking." This is not her recipe but I can say I definitely got the idea from her! Anyway, I love the unique flavors here. Such a healthy, simple, and very refreshing salad. NOTE: What is great here, is you can make all of this ahead of time, but keep the dressing separate and then just before serving, toss the salad with the dressing.
Another great idea here is you can save the watermelon shell and then put the finished salad in the melon as a bowl. Makes for a great presentation!
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 thin slices jalapeño chile pepper, seeds removed
- 2 tsp raspberry or strawberry jelly
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp minced garlic
- 3 1/2 lb watermelon, seeds removed, flesh cut into 1/2" dice (about 3 1/2 c)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 oz torn mixed salad greens (6 c)
- 1/2 c sliced red onion (about 1 sm)
- 1/3 c crumbled feta cheese, you can also use fresh mozzerella
- Combine vinegar, chile pepper, jelly, salt, pepper, garlic, and 1/4 cup of the watermelon in food processor. Process until smooth. With machine still running, drizzle in oil. Chill in jar until ready to use. Shake well before using.
- Toss greens with dressing in large bowl. Mound in center of large flat serving dish. Surround with remaining diced watermelon and sprinkle with onion. Crumble cheese over salad. Season with additional freshly ground black pepper to taste.