This is an impressive dish that is actually quite simple. I love what Ricotta can do to a dish...this feels rich and creamy yet it is still very light. Make sure you buy part-skim ricotta or you can run into some trouble. I like the combo of herbs. I play with herbs all the time. There are no rules so add whatever you like. I serve this with a big salad of mixed greens. Enjoy!
Makes 6 Wedges
- 1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough, look for whole-wheat, no hydrogentated oils
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup shallots
- 1 1/3 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablesppon fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Unroll dough, and press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan coated with cooking spray.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add thinly sliced green onions and shallots to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine cooked green onions, ricotta cheese, sliced fresh chives, minced fresh dill, fresh basil, salt, freshly ground black pepper, eggs, and egg white. Pour onion mixture into prepared crust; sprinkle mixture with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 6 wedges. Enjoy!