This looks beautiful, what can I say. It is easy and perfect for Thanksgiving. You will need to make this ahead to allow the ice cream to freeze, then when ready, thaw 10 minutes before serving to slice. So definitely give yourself sometime to prep this one. I love how unique it turns out and I love telling people there is pumpkin in it, especially for those who are not familiar with how amazing pumpkin is. This is much lighter than a typical pumpkin treat. Much lower in fat and here I use pecans- a healthy fat. Makes about 12 slices. Do not forget the caramel sauce, whipped cream, and chocolate shavings for topping! Also, Try all my Pumpkin Recipes!
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs, you can use whole-wheat crumbs too
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, a little goes a long way
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin, organic and BPA Free if possible
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 9 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream, divided, I also like Greek Yogurt ice cream here too
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted and divided, toasted is key
- 1/4 cup jarred caramel topping, (with natural ingredients found at WFoods)- this makes it all happen!
- whipped cream for topping, optional
- chocolate shavings for the grand finale, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 4 ingredients (mixture will be crumbly). Firmly press crumb mixture into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes; cool on a wire rack. Easy enough, here comes the work...
- Combine pumpkin and the next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a bowl. Soften 6 cups ice cream; add to pumpkin mixture, stirring to blend. Arm workout! Spoon half of mixture into prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap; freeze about 1 hour or until firm. Cover and freeze remaining pumpkin ice cream. Got that?
- Soften remaining 3 cups vanilla ice cream; stir in 1/4 cup pecans. Spread over pumpkin ice cream layer; freeze 1 hour or until firm. Soften remaining 3 cups pumpkin ice cream (remember those from the begining!); spread over vanilla ice cream mixture. Cover; freeze 6-7 hours or until firm.
- Cut torte into about 12 wedges. Place 1 wedge on a plate. Place topping in a bowl- microwave for about 50 seconds. Top each serving with about 1 tablespoon (or more) topping; sprinkle with more pecans- (1/4 cup worth), add a dollop of whipped cream, and...lastly the a few shavings of chocolate. Ta-da! Enjoy.