You will love this, I make it always and no one knows this is a lightened version. SHHHHH!
Also, what is great is you can make this the day ahead and when ready to assemble; stir in half the pecans and then sprinkle the remaining on top, and marshmallows if using (I skip always, unnecessary to me).
I love the toasted pecans and brown sugar here, what a great combo. A few dashes of Cinnamon can always work on this too. These might just be even tastier the next day, as with any Holiday left over.
Enjoy! Try all my Thansgiving Dishes!
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 brown packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- a dash or 2 of cinnamon, optional
- 1/2 vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins or until tender. Drain, cool slightly.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add sugar and next 3 ingredients through vanilla. Mash sweet potato mixture with a potato masher. Fold in 1/4 cup pecans. Scape potato mixture into an even layer in an 11 by 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pecans; top with marshmallows now if you like, that is. Bake at 375 F for 25 mins until golden. Enjoy!