These are so simple and so tasty. Not to mention super healthy. Some prep work is involved, but not too bad. You can use any cheese you'd like. Sometimes I use Parmesan or Feta, but goat cheese from the farmers market is my favorite. This is a fantastic idea if you find yourself with too much zucchini! After all, it is in season right now, so give this a go. 🙂
- 4-5 med zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 med onion, chopped
- ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups goat cheese (or can use feta cheese)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 475. Using a spoon, scoop out the centers of the zucchinis to form the canoes. Leave room around the borders. Roughly chop centers and set aside.
- Arrange zucchini, cut side down, on a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray, bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and about 1/2 tsp pepper. Cook until soft about 3-5 minutes. Add chopped zucchini and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool slightly. Fold in cheese and tomatoes. NOTE: This step you can "make-ahead" about 1, maybe 2 days ahead, and then assemble when ready.
- Turn hollowed-out zucchinis cut side up, fill with filling mixture and bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. That's it! Just be careful when transferring to plates, the filling can fall out easily. Also, you can jazz it up with some seasoning salt of your choice.