There’s one thing better than a warm chocolate cake: a warm chocolate cake served with a rich cream sauce! This is lighter than most but you WILL NOT MISS THE ADDED FAT AND SUGAR that most cakes some with… This 150-calorie dessert only feels like a splurge. I would double the recipe, as it only makes 4. I adapted this recipe from SELF Magazine.
- 1/3 cup milk of your choice, or for the richer flavor you can use 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1-inch piece vanilla bean, secret ingredient
- 4 teaspoons brewed coffee
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 7 teaspoons nonfat plain yogurt, (I use Greek style)
- Canola-oil cooking spray
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a simmer in a medium pan over medium heat, stirring continuously.
- Remove vanilla bean; scrape seeds into sauce.
- Place egg yolk in a bowl.
- Stir in 2 tbsp hot-milk mixture; add back to pan.
- Cook 1 minute; stir.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Beat egg white in a bowl with an electric mixer on high until foamy.
- Add 1/2 tsp sugar; continue beating on high, adding 5 more 1/2 tsp increments of sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolk with remaining 1 tbsp sugar until thick.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave.
- Remove from heat; stir in yogurt; add to egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in egg white mixture.
- Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 325°. Coat 4 molds in a muffin tin with cooking spray; pour in batter.
- Bake 12 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
- Cool slightly.
- Pour 2 tbsp sauce on each of 4 plates (or serve in a creamer on the side); put 1 cake on top of each.