Here is an ultimate chili recipe. To make it into the "Ultimate" category something very special needs to be involved and there of course needs to be a flavor unlike any other. Plus, it needs to be fast, easy, and healthy. So I have this for you. I make this with veggie (soy or tempeh) meat for myself but I have made it several times with ground turkey meat for non-vegetarians and they are always left wanting more. Most importantly-is the secret ingredient, Beer. Shhh. Lets get to it. You will love this and you will also enjoy my Chunky Veggie Chili and Three Bean and Vegetarian Chili. Not sure you want a pot of chili, but a burger that tastes like a bowl chili? Relax! Try my Turkey Chili Burgers. Enjoy~
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs salt
- 2-3 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 chipolte chile en adobo, coarsely chopped and 1-2 tbs of the juice (this is for the heat!)
- 1 pound veggie meat or ground turkey
- 1 12 oz Mexican lager, Corona is great
- 1 14.5 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, with the juice
- 1 15.5 oz can of kidney beams, rinsed and drained
- Toppings: scallions, avocado, sour cream, grated Monterey jack cheese, and tortilla chips.
- Heat oil in a large, Dutch oven pot over med-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt, chili powder, oregano, and cook and stir for about 3 mins. Stir in the tomato paste and then the chipolte chile (with a bit of sauce); cook 1 min.
- Add the turkey/or veggie meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook until cooked through, about 3-5 mins. Add the beer and simmer until reduced by about half, about 8 mins.
- Add the tomatoes, (you can crush em with your hands) along with the juices and the beans; Bring to a boil.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until nice and thick, about 10 mins. Yum!