Here it is. A feel-good recipe imitating a Classic...and usually very unhealthy, good ol "Sloppy Joe's." It may sound intimidating or seem like hard work, but not at all. I also would like to introduce Tempeh to you, if you have never heard of such an ingredient. 🙂 You will likely have the other ingredients on hand to put this together. You will not miss the meat, tempeh is the best! The 411...Tempeh begins with whole soybeans, which are softened by soaking and dehulled, then partly cooked. Specialty tempehs may be made from other types of beans, wheat, or may include a mixture of beans and whole grains, but usually soybeans are the main ingredient. Since tempeh is made from whole soybeans, it is a fiber-rich food. Yay! Tempeh is a rich source of proteins, minerals, soy isoflavones and it is also contains a generous source of nutrients such as calcium, B-vitamins and iron. In addition, tempeh is a good source of monounsaturated fats and contains no cholesterol. The taste is nutty, meaty, and mushroom-like and you will love it as a meat substitution. By now, you should be able to find tempeh at any store, so try something new, you only live once. 🙂
- 1/2 tbs, canola oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup organic ketchup, use more if needed
- 1/2 cup organic yellow mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamamri, (low-sodium)
- 2 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons water, as needed
- Sprinkle of: cinnamon, chili powder, pepper, sesame seeds, red crushed pepper, and Cayenne pepper(optional for the cayenne pepper) NOTE: if you like heat add a pinch of cayenne pepper, only a pinch! If you do not like heat, leave out.)
- 1 packet of organic tempeh, chopped and crumbled
- Top with Spinach and olives, (or anything you fancy) I sometimes use hot sauce to counter out the sweetness
- Use whole-wheat Buns of whole-wheat English Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add oil to a small pot over med. heat. Add onion and cook for about 3-5 mins, until soft. Now combine the next 7 ingredients. Turn on low and heat for five minutes, until it starts to bubble. Stir well.
- Add in crumbled tempeh and stir until incorporated.
- Pour into oven-safe casserole dish and place in oven. Cook at 350 F for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon onto buns or english muffins and top with spinach (or other toppings.)