I made these for dinner last night, had leftovers for lunch just now and was so inspired to share the recipe! We all know how well sweet potato’s and pecans work together (you will love the pecans in these.) I also just really like the texture of these and highly recommend a good chili sauce on top.
Yes, carbs, a very healthy carb that your body needs and wants, so go for it. Again sweet potato’s are one of the best things you can give your body. The caramelized onions really top it off and they are so easy to make. My recipe is inspred from Cooking Light.
Makes 6 burgers
1 tsp oil
3 cups onion
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
2 1/2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves
1 cup oats
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup pecans, toasted
1 tbs oil
6 whole wheat buns
toppings of your choice
1. For onions, heat oil in a large skillet over med to high heat. Add onion, saute for about 10 mins or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar, sugar, and salt, cook maybe 1 min more and then remove from pan. Wipe pan out for burgers.
2. Place sweet potato in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 mins. Drain.
3. Heat large skillet again and use cooking spray. Add chopped onion and garlic and saute for about 5 mins. or until tender.
4. Place potato, chopped onion/garlic mixture, oats, egg, cumin, salt and pepper, in a food processor; process until smooth. Place potato mixture in a bowl; stir in toasted pecans. Divide in to 6 patties.
5. Wipe the pan again and heat 1 tbs oil. Add 3 patties and cook about 4 mins on each side. Repeat process. Place on a bun, with lettuce, burger, chili sauce, caramelized onions, and Enjoy!!