Behold the Acorn Squash. This incredible winter squash makes the perfect container for anything! I love the buttery and rich flavor that acorn squash brings. This meal is a little random as I honestly just tossed in what I had ready to go. You could easily make this in many different ways and flavors but this is what I did and it was really delicious. Remember~There is nothing you can't put inside this, when your foundation is good, you are set up for a good meal. 😉 This makes a lot of filling which you can use for leftovers to make burritos or as a salad. Enjoy~ Also try my "South Western" Style Stuffed Kabocha.
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 acorn squash, cut in half and roasted (scoop out the center)
- 1 can of Lenils
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 onion
- 1-2 garlic gloves
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 bunch of scallions
- 2 slices of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- First roast the acorn squash. Cut in half and scoop out the center. Roast at 400 F for about 25-30 mins.
- While the squash is roasting, cook the couscous. It only takes 5 mins and then put aside.
- Now just toss together the lentils, couscous, red bell pepper, zucchini, onions, garlic, jalapeno pepper, chili powder, crushed red bell pepper, scallions, and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl.
- Preheat Broiler. Fill in the squash with the filling and place a slice of cheese over each one. Broil for about 5-10 mins.
- Keep your left overs filling for burritos or a salad. 😉