- You can top it with homemade whipped cream OR vanilla bean ice cream, if your heart so desires.
- I hardly sweeten the fruit - I'd rather let the natural sweetness of the fruit do its job! But if you need to make the strawberries sweeter have at it by adding more sugar.
This is one of my perfect Summer, but also Forth of July recipes! I make it every 4th and all Summer long too - especially because strawberries are in their prime. I think summer <--- (all my summer recipes!) is all about being with friends and family. Enjoying BBQ's and dinner parties. That calls for a lot of good eating. Strawberries are in season all summer and I ALWAYS stock up at the Farmers Market. So you will love this recipe. I feel like everyone loves cobbler- even the kids AND even the grandparents. I love how this cobbler can be served warm and at room temperature. Or you can always serve it cold, and it will taste like strawberry pie. The cobbler can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. It takes five minutes to prepare. Then the oven does all the work. NOTES:
- 6 cups organic fresh strawberries, halved
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided (you could try a sugar sub but I use evaporated cane sugar)
- 1 tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice, secret ingredient
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs flour, divided
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup real organic butter OR you can use a non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening-(to make vegan), found at Whole Foods
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- fresh whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Coat an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Toss together strawberries, plus 2 tbs sugar, 2 tbs flour, and lemon juice in a bowl. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup flour, remaining 2 tbs sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add butter (or a non-hydrogenated shortening) and mix well with fork until mixture is crumbly. Stir in 1/4 cup water and if you need more add another 1/4 cup. Spread evenly over strawberry mixture.
- Bake 20-30 mins, or until browned and bubbly... Let stand 10 mins before serving.