I think summer is all about being with friends and family and having BBQ’s and dinner parties. That calls for a lot of good eating. Strawberries are in season all summer and I ALWAYS stock up at the Farmers’ Market. I feel like everyone loves cobbler, even kids and grandparents.
I love how this cobbler can be served warm and at room temperature. Or you can always serve it cold, and it will taste like strawberry pie. The cobbler can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. It takes five minutes to prepare: then the oven does all the work. You can top it with homemade whipped cream OR vanilla bean ice cream, if your heart so desires. I prefer to limit my sugar usage. I’d rather let the natural sweetness of the fruit do its job! You may also want to check out my other Fruit Treats. Yum!
- 6 cups organic fresh strawberries, halved
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided (you could try a sugar sub but I use evaportaed cane sugar)
- 1 tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs flour, divided
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 tbs real organic butter OR you can use a non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, found at Whole Foods
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Coat an 11×7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Toss together strawberries, plus 2 tbs sugar, 2 tbs flour, and lemon juice in a bowl. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup flour, remaining 2 tbs sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Add shortening and mix well with fork until mixture is crumbly. Stir in 1/4 cup water and if you need more add another 1/4 cup. Spread evenly over strawberry mixture. Bake 20-30 mins, or until browned and bubbly… Let stand 10 mins before serving. Enjoy!