Another easy and fast meal for you. You should have most of the ingredients on hand too. I love the mushrooms here for a more hearty texture and what a great way to sneak in some extra vegetables. I like to use whole-wheat spaghetti. You could easily add some cubed chicken breasts or a veggie burger too. Match with a simple green salad and Enjoy! Try all my Pasta Dishes!
Serves About 6-8
- 2 cups white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 med red bell pepper, cut into chunk
- 1 large leek, white part cut into chunks
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs)
- salt and pepper2 tbs oregano
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 15-oz cans tomaotoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained, low sodium
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves
- 8 oz spaghetti, whole wheat
- Basil, optional
- Parmesan Reggiano, optional
- Place mushrooms, bell pepper, and leek in a bowl of a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over med-high heat. Add mushroom mixture and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook 3-5 mins or until veggies are soft and most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir in oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, and cook 30 secs more. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, and wine and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cover and simmer 20 mins stirring occasionally. Add spinach, and cook 3-5 mins or until spinach has wilted.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions, (al dente) is always nice, and serve spaghetti topped with sauce. I garnish by tearing up some fresh basil and if I have some Parm, I sprinkle some on.