FALL! FALL! FALL! IS HERE, SO WINTER SQUASH is in my life and I am so very happy!! You have to try this ugly looking thing (Kabocha) if you have never had the chance , I swear you will love it. 🙂 I had another "untouched" Kabocha squash hanging around the kitchen and if you know me, I never waste a thing. So I cut in half, scooped out the seeds and baked them. Next, I opened the pantry. "What do I feel like," I asked. Definitely South Western. I grabbed black beans, re-fried beans, and I sauteed an onion, mixed that with the beans, added seasonings, and added cheese and salsa. I then happened to have Tempeh bacon for the top. I have made similar meals like this too, Stuffed Kabocha Squash with Couscous, Seitan, and Cheese and Acorn Squash with Couscous and Lentils. ALL are great. One for me and one for Mark. (NOTE: MAKES A TON for leftovers!) Notice the sign he gets on his... "EAT ME!" The poor guy has been yelled at numerous times by accidentally eating something that may not have been intended for "Guy syndrome." Most Guys have it, as they inhale the first thing they see and all your efforts on something gets vacuumed up in the blink of an eye, so I gave him a heads up with the note... "Yes, you can eat this." 😉 Like I said, These are great for leftovers too. Have you tried Kabocha Squash yet??? Enjoy~
- 1 kabocha Squash
- 1 small onion, sliced and carmelized
- 1 can of Organic black beans, rised and drained
- 1/2 can of Vegetarian Re-fried Beans
- 1/2 cup Corn and Bean Salsa, divided
- 1/2 cup Mexican Blend Cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Seasoning Salt
- A few grinds of fresh Black Pepper and Salt
- Tempeh Bacon, (optional) for Topping
- Preheat oven to 400F. Cut a kabocha squash in half. Scoop out the seeds and roast for about 25-30 mins.
- In a pan with a drizzle of oil, cook sliced onion and cook so it is caramelized. Add some sugar and let it cook for about 5-7 mins. Set aside when done. Now also cook the Tempeh Bacon.
- In a small bowl mix black beans, the cooked onions, the 1/2 cup re-fried beans, 1/4 cup of the salsa, and 1/4 cup of the cheese along with the cumin, chili powder, seasoning salt, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix very well.
- When the squash is done cooking, let cool for about 10 mins. Fill them up with the black bean mixture and top with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese, which is going to be 2 tbs on each squash.
- Broil the squash with the filling for about 7 mins until cheese is melted. Top with Tempeh Bacon and remaining 1/4 cup Salsa and Enjoy!