- If you feel you are after the really "cheesy"-mac n' cheese vibe... you may want to add a bit more cheese than what I use. (My recommendation keeps it lighter.) You can also use a stronger cheese if you fancy.
- I serve this with a side of some sort of steamed veggies (or a salad) and a slice of a good hearty bread.
- Also, you can dollop this with all the toppings you desire; so many flavors go good with this dish.
Can serve 6-8
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 med. leek white and pale green parts halved and sliced (1 cup)-OR chives are fine too
- 1/2 cup diced tomato, or red/green pepper (other veggies work too)
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained (OR you can just use pre-cooked and cut back on the water and cooking time)
- good pinch of salt
- a few grinds of seasoning salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups of water (or stock)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk, milk of choice
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese - (or can use a stronger cheese of your choice too), + more for sprinkling- NOTE: (You may find you need more cheese, BUT I use this amount to still keep the dish 'lighter' yet very flavorful.)
- Optional- Crushed Red Pepper, Panko Bread crumbs for topping
- Toppings (optional)- salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, scallions (you get the picture)
- Heat oil in med. saucepan over med. heat. Add leek and tomatoes (or bell peppers-or any veggies you want really); cover and cook 5 mins or until tender. Stir in quinoa and garlic, and cook, uncovered, 3-4 mins, or until grains start to turn opaque. (They will not fully be cooked yet.)
- Add 3 cups water (or stock) and season with salt and the Seasoning Salt (I like Lawry's or Everyday Seasoning). Cover and reduce heat to med-low and simmer 15-20 mins or more, (depends and also what kind of quinoa you use) or until most liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 5 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13x9 inch dish with cooking spray. Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese (if you feel you need more cheese, add here.) Stir very well and let some of the cheese melt. (Will seem a little "soupy," do not worry, it will all mold together.)
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and if using Panko crumbs or Bread crumbs, add now. You can also sprinkle a bit more cheese on now if you prefer for topping. NOTE: (The Cooking TIME VARIES!). Bake 25-45 mins, (or until browned around edges.)
- Now you can toss with many toppings, some ideas: salsa, scallions, sour cream, and hot sauce! I serve with a side of steamed broccoli or a salad and a nice slice of good hearty bread.