I am really enjoying Portobello Mushrooms lately. I have never been a big mushroom person, I am not going to lie- but Portobello's on the other hand, are a different story. Plus when you have a "Stuffed" anything, I am pretty much on board. What I think really makes these so good is the combination of goat cheese and just the 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese that I sprinkle on the top too...so tasty! I am also really getting into goat cheese too. Not only does goat cheese have such a great taste and adds so much depth to a dish, but nutritionally speaking, goat cheese is typically lower in cholesterol, calories and fat—and higher in calcium—than cow's-milk cheeses. I think this time of year goat cheese goes good with so many things like salads and side dishes too. So here is an easy and very delicious dish you can make this summer and also bring to your next get-together (just make ahead and heat up when ready to serve.) Also try my Goat Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes, my Tofu Tacos with Corn, Spinach, and Goat Cheese and ALL MY GOAT CHEESE RECIPES. Yum!
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 portobello mushrooms caps, with stems removed
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup of crumbled goat cheese
- 1 whole tomato, diced
- 3 slices tempeh bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 cup part skim mozzarealla cheese to sprinkle on top
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly chopped basil to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking dish by covering it with aluminum foil.
- Whisk together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl. Brush the mixture on the aluminum foil and then brush the mixture on the tops and bottoms of the mushrooms caps. Sprinkle the caps with salt and pepper and then set them, gill side down, on the baking dish.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the oil and vinegar mixture in a saucepan and saute the onion until it becomes translucent.
- Place baking dish in the oven and bake the caps for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, flip the mushroom caps and continue to bake for 5 minutes. Remove the mushroom caps from the oven.
- Fill each of the mushrooms caps with goat cheese, tomato, onion and tempeh bacon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with the 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Now top with basil.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes and serve warm. Enjoy!