Instead of a plain old boring sandwich...try this! I find there is really no need for cheese if you use the right hummus. You could buy any kind you like, or make your own (super easy, look under my "Sides/Snacks.") What is great is how the hummus holds the pitas together. This is SO healthy, SO easy to put together, and SO DELICIOUS! I serve this with salsa and hot sauce... of course. You could easily pair this with a nice salad or soup.
- 2 containers of hummus, can be garlic, cilantro, plain, or red-bell pepper are all great
- 4 whole-wheat pitas, split crosswise
- 4 jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained and sliced into strips
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Salsa, hot sauce, salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place 4 pita halves on a baking sheet. Spread each with 1/2 cup Hummus. Top with peppers, spinach, now season with salt and pepper, and remaining pita halves. Bake 10 mins or until crisp. Cut into triangles and serve. I top with salsa and hot sauce.