Salty feta, sweet cherry tomatoes, and nutty chickpeas all combined makes this dish, well….delicious. Use oregano instead of basil, if you prefer, but I love tomato and basil together. This is a fantastic meal to jazz up any weeknight and the leftovers are awesome too. Finally a pasta dish you can feel GOOD about indulging in! Also check out my Ziti with Spinach, Cherry Tomatoes, and Gorgonzola Sauce and Four Cheese Baked Penne. Enjoy~
- 8 ounces uncooked whole- wheat penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 3 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup small fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepperI add red pepper flakes to taste and Seasoning Salt (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots and garlic; sauté 45 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in bell pepper and chickpeas; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in pasta and reserved cooking liquid; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat. Add feta and remaining ingredients; toss to combine.