By now you have all heard how the average blueberry muffin is LOADED with fat, high in sugar, high in calories, no nutrients or fiber, and usually not even made with real Blueberries! Enough. This recipe is great. It is so much healthier than what you will find anywhere else. I love using real blueberries, but frozen is fine too. The lemon is the key to brighten up all the flavors. Also check out my Guilt-Free Blueberry Muffins , Gingered Blueberry Shortcake,and Blueberry Bliss.
- 1 2/3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk or low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place oats in a food processor; pulse 5 to 6 times or until oats resemble coarse meal. Place in a large bowl.
- Add flours and next 5 ingredients (through salt) to oats; stir well. Make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through eggs). Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Toss berries with 2 tablespoons flour, and gently fold into batter. Spoon batter into 16 muffin cups coated with cooking spray; sprinkle 2 tablespoons granulated sugar evenly over batter. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove from pans immediately; place on a wire rack.