This is so DARN good! I keep it healthy to by using whole-wheat penne, Greek yogurt, broccoli & mushrooms, and all the right flavors (why hello breadcrumbs!) and also starring... Nutmeg. Do you maybe need a great dish for the one you love? This would be a great special occasion meal OR in fact, anytime really. I am making it today on a Monday to start my week off right, so there you go! Who is with me. 😉 This is easy, healthy, and a low-fat version of the classic...you also get half your daily Calcium needs in one serving. There is something to Nutmeg with Creamy textures...hmmmm. Do you know what language I am speaking of? I always add nutmeg when I cook with cream. It is a secret ingredient for sure. Now you know! Also, you could easily add in more ingredients to this, so go for it. If you have extra veggies, throw them in. Try all my Pasta Dishes! Enjoy. Moni xx
- 1 (12 oz) box of uncooked elbow macaroni or penne, whole wheat
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt, use non-fat or low-fat
- 1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes, drained- or use fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 1 (12 oz) can of fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup bread crumb
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cook pasta accordingly to package and drain but reserve 1/3 cup of the pasta water. Transfer to a large bowl. While the pasta is still hot, toss the pasta, the Greek yogurt, the 1/3 cup of the pasta water, broccoli, mushrooms, and the diced tomatoes together.
- Scald the milk by heating in a med saucepan over med heat until little bubbles form around the edges. Now add the cheese, mustard, pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer, constantly stirring, until cheese melts.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Fold cheese mixture into the pasta mixture and transfer to a casserole dish. (mixture may seem thin, but it thickens as it melts.)
- Mix together bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350, uncovered for about 20-25 mins.