This can be meatless and amazing. However, you can easily add some ground meat if you prefer, I recommend Turkey meat if that is where you are headed. The photo is ground turkey. The sauce is really what makes it. I love how easy this is. You mix all the ingredients in one bowl, add to a 9x13 baking dish and let the oven to all the work! 🙂 You can't mess this up. I highly recommend the sauce, it takes a little more work but so tasty and so good for you. So many sauces out there have artificial ingredients like high fructose corn syrup, added sugar, and preservatives. The red bell pepper in my sauce, adds sweetness naturally.
- 2 lbs veggie soy meat (or 2 lbs ground dark turkey meat)
- 1 egg (for turkey meat, use 2 eggs)
- 3 oz tomato paste (1/2 of a small can, reserve the rest for sauce)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 3 oz tomato paste (what is left from the can)
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 small red pepper, seeded, cored, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup-1 cup water, (try 1/2 cup first and then thin out sauce if needed with remaining 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the meatloaf and work together completely by hand until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Place meat mixture into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and shape into a loaf about 11 inches long and 4 inches wide.
- For the red pepper sauce, place all the ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. Cover meatloaf with the sauce and allow excess sauce to pool around the meatloaf. Cover pan with foil. Bake about 25-20 mins to heat through and let rest about 5-10 mins.