The possibilities are endless on this one... You can find veggie crumbles at any store. I also Love using the tortilla chips for the crunch factor. 🙂 An easy and delicious meal you can throw together in no time. I am a big fan of beans and if you prefer to use meat or tempeh instead of the meat-less crumbles, be my guest. It is all about the toppings if you ask me. There are no rules though, so make it right for you!
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) package meatless fat-free crumbles (such as Lightlife Smart Ground)-you can sub with meat or tempeh if you prefer
- About 2 cups of baked or whole-wheat tortilla chips (Trader Joes has a great brand)
- Cooking spray
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups chopped seeded plum tomato, or cherry will work too
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream or plain yogurt (Greek style is fantastic)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olivesTop with Salsa, Avocado slices, and Hot sauce (all optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and jalapeño; cook 1 minute. Stir in chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and crumbles; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Arrange half of tortilla chips in an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top evenly with crumbles mixture.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium heat. Add beans, mashing with the back of a wooden spoon until chunky and thick; cook 2 minutes or until heated, stirring constantly. Stir in lime juice.
- Combine tomato, cilantro (if using), and salt. Layer beans and tomato mixture over crumbles mixture in dish. Top with remaining tortilla chips, pressing to slightly crush. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 375° for 13 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Cut casserole into 6 equal pieces; top each serving with 1 teaspoon sour cream, 1 teaspoon onions, and 2 teaspoons olives. Add any toppings you like, I love the salsa, avocado, and hot sauce combo. Enjoy!