I just love granola bars and well, anything granola for that matter. I think granola has a bad wrap and it is about time to get over it. What is not to love about this recipe? You get a chewy, delicious, healthier, and very simple treat. Not too mention that you will not find any of the “crap” ingredients like trans-fats or corn syrup in these, so you can feel good about what you are putting in your body. They could be your snack or make for a breakfast on the go. You will need to look for Brown Rice Syrup if you do not have it. Of course, I add mini chocolate chips…(Can we say “child hood memory”) but that is optional. Note: I seem to burn these more than I would like to admit so keep your eye on them. ENJOY!
- 1 1/3 cups quick-cooking (not instant) rolled oats, divided
- Just a pinch each; fine salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and ground ginger.
- *1/4 cup flax seeds, sunflower, or chia seeds, (you can try all to equal 1/4 c)
- *almonds and dried cherries, makes a great combo
- *apricots and walnuts, another great a great combo
- *berrie mix of blueberries, strawberries, and cranberries (Trader Joe's carries this)
- *crisp-rice cereal, natural and whole-grain
- *unsweetened shredded coconut
- *1/4-1/3 cup mini chocolate chips, (OPTIONAL)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup good quality maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 8” square baking pan with parchment paper, letting some paper hang over the sides. Easy clean up too. 🙂
- Grind 1/3 cup of the oats in a food processor until powdery. Add them to a large mixing bowl with the remaining oats, the salt and spices, seeds, and fruit/nut/crisp cereal of your choice, and mini chocolate chips if using. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients and then stir them into the dry ingredients.
- Put the mixture in the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula. Bake for 20-30 mins, or until evenly browned. Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes. Remove to a cutting board and cut into individual granola bars.