Craving a gooey, cheesy, hearty, BUT HEALTHY sandwich? Look no further. This is my adaption to a some-what close resemblance of a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich. I like mozzarella and tempeh here and the meat is not to be missed! NOTE: As mentioned before...Tempeh is a chewy, nutty, fermented soybean mixture, (similar to a loaf.) Find it (plain or with added grains) near refrigerated tofu in natural-foods stores and many large supermarkets. SoyBoy 5 Grain and Lightlife Flax tempeh are great brands.
- 1 package tempeh
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 4 slices of cheese of choice, pref. mozzarella, you could also use provolone
- Cut tempeh in half widthwise, then slice each piece horizontally to make 4 thin slices total.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir in wine. Add tempeh slices and spoon some of the mushroom mixture over them; cook until the tempeh is heated through and the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, top with cheese, cover and let stand until the cheese melts, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide the tempeh among half the toasted bread. Top with the mushroom mixture and the remaining toasted bread. Serve immediately.