If you have been following my blog, then you know I love brownies and sweets. Sometimes I make them oozy, gooey, and "Paula Deen" style and sometimes I make them really lightened up. Both are important to have in your diet, mainly so you keep a healthy relationship with food. Honestly, how long does one last on only sticking to a fat-free treat...Not long! But that is for another topic as this recipe YOU CAN FEEL GREAT ABOUT ENJOYING! (I have to say though, that the pictures do not do justice and I took these pictures when I pulled the brownies out of the fridge.) Time to eat good, feel good, and be good to yourself. Make sure you Look at all of my brownie recipes here- Brownies. You may also like my PB Butter Chocolate Chip Dessert Hummus (a must try) and my other Black Bean Brownies. Also, if you have been reading my blog then you know I experiment with everything! I have made brownies and fudge before many times using black beans. Any how, I have yet another amazing version for you so let's get to it. I've experimented with these kinds of recipes a lot . I've found that the small amount of real butter is truly essential for flavor and texture. The coffee also swipes out any bean taste as well. Nothing wrong with that when you look at what is in a typical brownie at your local bakery; sticks of butter, oil, and so much added sugar. No thanks! NOTE: THEY ARE BEST if you chill overnight in the fridge and let the chocolate flavor intensify! I sometimes make them in squares, OR like seen in the pictures, I use a muffin tin. This way they are portable and portioned out as well. Great for on-the-go! I put some in the freezer and they take 15-30 seconds in the microwave to make a super snack. My favorite thing though is all the toppings. I made some with sliced up banana, some with chocolate chips, some with peanut butter chips, and some with cocoa nibs. You could also use nuts or anything really. Keep an open mind as I always say, give them a go! Enjoy~
16 Brownie Squares/Muffins
- 1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter, melted (or use 3 Tbs oil of choice)
- 6 egg whites, or 3 eggs is fine
- 3/4 cup stevia or sugar
- 1/4 cup good-quality cocoa powder (I like Green & Black)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee or espresso grinds (don't skip this; even if you don't like coffee the taste is very mild but it covers up any "beany" taste) 😉
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- dash of cinnamon, optional- I add it to basically everything!
- TOPPINGS: such chocolate chips (duh!), peanut butter chips, nuts, cacao nibs, toffee bits, dark chocolate chunks, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease up an 8x8 pan or muffin tin with cooking spray. (Or you can use foil too fo the pan.)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. You may have to scrape down the sides and stir the batter several times.
- Scrape the batter into the greased pan or muffin tin. Sprinkle with any of the optional toppings. I like chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and even banana slices. I make a variety. Bake 25-30 minutes or until the center is relatively dry and the brownies pull away from the sides of the pan (or muffin). Cut into 16 squares if using a pan.
- THEY ARE BEST if you chill overnight in the fridge. After a day or so the chocolate flavor intensifies and the brownies taste less "bean-like". Enjoy!