I am all about warm, soothing, comfort foods. This is my favorite Tomato Soup Recipe of all time and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. ;) So what do I mean by DOUBLE-Tomato? Simple. That is sun-dried tomato and diced tomatoes mixed together. I know right, and with a hit of fresh basil, it is a dream! Besides tasting so gooood, It also is still so healthy and good for you too.
The carrots give it a little sweetness and the onions really create the texture. Great anytime of the year and pair it up with a grilled panini and you are good to go.
NOTE: To keep Vegan, you can make this without any cream which I have made many times and it is still SO incredible, or you can replace the cream with soy milk or the milk of your choice. Perhaps you will like my other fabulous Tomato Soup too. Enjoy~
- 1 tbs Earth Balance, or butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 tbs minced shallots
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 10 basil leaves, divided
- 3 drained sun-dried tomato halves, packed in oil and herbs
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans organic diced tomatoes (or fresh is even better), undrained
- 1 (14 oz) vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1/2 cup of cream or soymilk or milk of your choice, optional
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, shredded carrot, garlic, and shallots to the pan, and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add sugar, pepper, salt and 4 of the basil leaves, and cook 5 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and broth, and bring to a boil Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove from heat. Place half of the soup in a blender or food processor (put paper towel over the lid so there is no splatter, I make a mess everytime!) Blend until smooth. Pour in a large bowl and repeat with the remaining soup until it is all in the bowl and stir together. Add the cream or non dairy milk now if using. Divide amoung 6 bowls and garnish with a Basil leaf. Oh yes…