Who is not down with Chicken Noodle Soup! How about a healthier version! In this case, I replace chicken with chickpeas and noodles with spaghetti squash and what a success. This is a new favorite for us. I had all these ingredients so I figured to try something new and here it is. I can’t tell you how much this brings me back to my snowboarding days and the memories of cold winters and my childhood. Can we say COMFORT FOOD but HEALTHY. I love adding Parsnips (instead of potatoes) and a whole bunch of carrots from the Farmer's market- in a variety of all colors. You can also make this with spaghetti noodles or fettuccine noodles, or like what I did and and use Spaghetti Squash. You just can't for wrong but if you are after the "typical" chicken noodle soup, you may like the pasta noodles the best. 🙂 Plus it does not end here: Try Italian Chickpea Soup and Spaghetti with Chunky Tomato Sauce and Chickpeas and Tomato with Spaghetti Squash "Mash." Enjoy~
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 med yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced- I use a variety of carrots from the Farmers Market (orange, purple, white) any will do though
- 1-1 1/2 cups parsnips, sliced or could sub with potatoes
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 tsp fresh Thyme, dried works
- 1 tsp fresh Rosemary, dried works
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Spaghetti squash (as in the picture) or 8 oz (uncooked) spaghetti noodles or fettuccine, whole-wheat works well too
- 15 oz canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 5 c vegetable broth
- 1-2 cups water
- salt to taste and crushed Red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large dutch oven, Add the oil and onions and saute for about 5 mins. Add garlic, carrots, parsnips, celery, thyme, rosemary, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes (if using) and saute for about another 2-3 mins.
- Add chickpeas, vegetable broth, and water and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 10 mins.
- Add spaghetti squash or noodles (I cut into thirds so it is easier to eat). Simmer until noodles are done and add salt to your liking.