How did this recipe come about? The title is confusing enough, right! So I was making a dinner one night when my dad was visiting and we were trying to make everyone happy. So that is what we did! It is a very hearty, chunky soup full of nutrients and flavor. I sub the chicken breast with a veggie chicken burger and it is so delicious. This recipe is great because you can simply add chicken if you want it or replace it with something else if you do not. I also want to make this again and try chickpeas too. You will like the heat from the jalapeno pepper and the sweetness from the peanut butter and sweet potatoes, that is the key here. 🙂 This is a hearty dish with great flavor and a great source of fiber from the black beans.
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato (2 potatoes)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper (1 pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast, or about 2 veggie burgers (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup bottled salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (low-sodium), drained
- 1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter, can use creamy
- Place a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño; sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken or veggie burger and next 5 ingredients (chicken through beans); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Add peanut butter, stirring with a whisk; cook 2 minutes. Enjoy