Why do I make these? Well, let's see...I love them, they are easy, they are affordable, they turn into a Breakfast, a Lunch, a Dinner, (B,L,T) or an anytime snack, oh and involve "good for you" ingredient's and are delicious... What a problem solver I am. As mentioned, these are healthy and the perfect protein/carb/veggie ratio. It also helps that they are easy to eat (no messes today on my white shirt) and they involve everyday ingredients. Add in any veggies you like. Like I said, they are easy and so versatile too. So add what you have in the fridge and let me know what you think. Enjoy~ Here are my other Breakfast and Egg Dishes...check them out.
- 2 slices bread, whole-wheat I like Ezekiel
- 2 eggs, 3 egg whites, organic
- 1/4 cup milk, add more if needed
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup mozzarella or cheddar cheese, shredded-(divided 1/4 cup for topping)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2-3 squirts of sriracha sauce, optional
- dash of garlic powder, pepper, crushed red bell pepper flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F and prepare a muffin tin with non-stick spray (6 tins).
- In a small pan over medium heat, coat pan with oil. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until onions turn translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add spinach and cook till wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk eggs, milk, and spices in a medium bowl. Add bread, stir till bread is equally covered. Gently mix in cooled veggies and (most of the) cheese and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Distribute equally into 6 muffin cups, pressing mixture gently into the cups.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes, until tops are golden brown and egg is cooked through. NOTE: Half way through I add a sprinkle of extra cheese on the tops. Let rest 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!