God Bless My Mom. So there I was visiting home in Colorado on a snowboard trip last month and to see a best friend up in the mountains. We did a lot of hard snowboarding and eating out the entire time. So when I had the one night at my mom's house before I flew out, she came to the rescue with this recipe! She made me this amazing, very HEALTHY, and SO DELICIOUS "Stoup" (soup+stew=stoup) for me. Not only did it make me feel better....(Ahhh Nutrients,) but it also warmed up my body (brrrr) and my heart as well. I changed it up just a bit and it is now a staple meal over here. So here you go... the easiest, most affordable, and super delicious soup. I also could not stop there though. I make a Cheese and Tomato Toast to go along, and the recipe is below...so worth it and takes maybe 5 mins. NOTE: My mom used white meat ground turkey but you can also use Chickpeas (or use White Beans). I like to switch it up and you can't go wrong with either. I have a very similar soup to this...my Two-Bean Soup with Kale (included with my cheese and tomato toast!) Or try all my other Soups for even more recipes. Enjoy~
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1-2 shallots, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stem of kale, rough chopped
- 1 can 15 oz diced tomatoes, or use fresh
- 1 can of white beans, or chickpeas, or use 1 lb white turkey meat (organic, free range)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 tbs Herbs de Provence
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish- rosemary (or parsley) and parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil over a pan on med heat. Add shallots and cook about 2-4 mins. Add carrot and red bell pepper. Saute with some salt and pepper. Add beans (or meat if using) now. Break up and mix well.
- Add kale and tomatoes, stir well and add the 1 Tbs of Herbs de Provence. Add cooked brown rice and the 4 cups of vegetable broth. Simmer about 15 mins or until the veggies are tender.
- Garnish with rosemary or parsley and a sprinkle of parm. You can also make a very easy "Moni-toast" while you wait! Enjoy.