Here is a super easy and unique way to eat some super delicious Artichoke Hearts! First, this meal is so great to entertain with, perfect for Summer. Also it actually remains to still be very healthy. Check this out: Some new studies have shown that artichokes contain an unusual amount of anti-oxidants, in the form of phytonutrients and in a study done by the United States Department of Agriculture, artichokes rank as the number one vegetable in anti-oxidant count! One large artichoke contains only 25 calories, no fat, 170 milligrams of potassium, and is a good source of vitamin C, folate, magnesium and dietary fiber. The trick is to keep dressings and sauces lighter. Speaking of sauces... I highly recommend the aioli sauce I have posted below too. It is basically one of the few times I will prefer a mayo sauce (not a big fan for the most part) but this aioli dip so complements the artichoke hearts. Enjoy!~ Check out my other Sides/Snacks for more recipes and ideas.
- 1 can whole artichoke hearts, (I prefer in glass rather than in metal can)
- 1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese or freshly grated Parmesan cheese (both are great)
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs (or seasoned Italian breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- tiny pinch paprika
- crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain and rinse the artichoke hearts then pat dry thoroughly with paper towels. In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, salt and pepper. In another smaller bowl, crack the egg and beat lightly with a fork.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper and give a quick spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lightly drench each heart in the egg then cover with the breadcrumbs. Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through. While hearts are baking, prepare the sauce. Enjoy!