If you are anything like me…then you love GRANOLA! I find homemade is always the best, healthiest, and less expensive. While rolled barley flakes look nearly identical to rolled oats, they pack more fiber. Plus, I like to switch it up and I LOVE the combo of pumpkin seeds and sunflower. I use great flavors here and just a lil' coconut oil brings it all together. Your kitchen will smell like a Bakery. 🙂 Serve over yogurt if you want (I love Greek style, it is the best and contains more protein!). Also check out my Almond-Molasses Granola, my My Classic Granola, and my Healthy Granola Bars! Here are all my Breakfast Recipes too. Enjoy!
Makes 4 cups
- 1/4 cup unsalted pumpkinseed kernels, love so much!
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seed kernels
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, or can use agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, secret ingredient
- 2 cups rolled barley flakes
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/3 cup dried strawberries
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- (Optional add-ins or replacements: other dried fruits, flax seeds, almonds, walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Place pumpkinseed kernels and sunflower seed kernels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 325° for 5 minutes. Worth the effort! Cool seeds in pan on a wire rack.
- Combine syrup and next ingredients (through to nutmeg) in a medium bowl. Stir in toasted kernels, barley, and wheat germ.
- Next spread barley mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Key to that flavor, must toast them! Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven; cool granola in pan on a wire rack. Stir in dried strawberries and dried cranberries. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!