These are a nice alternative to the normal sugar cookie. Not too much whole-wheat flour is used so you still get the taste of the original. Easy and you will love the icing too, it is so fresh. As with any sugar cookie, there is some work to these, but make it fun and do it with someone special. 😉 I also sometimes jazz this up with fancy sprinkles, but that is optional.
Makes about 24
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup whole wheat
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 oz unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 egg white
1 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 pure almond extract
2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
2 large egg whites
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Whisk together first four ingredients (through baking soda) in a med. bowl.
2. Beat butter and sugars together in a separate med,. bowl until light and fluffy. Scape down sides and bottom of bowl. and add the egg white and vanilla and almond extracts; beat until combined.
3. Add flour mixture, and stir until incorporated. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 4 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 325 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Dust a work surface with flour. Turn out chilled dough directly onto work surface. Roll dough out to a 1/4-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut shape in dough, and gently transfer them to baking sheets. (You can re roll the scraps, just before you chill in between.)
6. Bake cookies for 12 mins or until set but not browned. Remove cookies from oven, and cool for 5 mins. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely,
7. For the icing, whisk together all icing ingredients in a large bowl until completely smooth. Mixture should have a consistency of a glaze. (if it is too thin add more sugar, if it is too thick add more lemon juice.)
8. Transfer icing to a pastry bad or a Ziploc baggie with a small hole cut in the corner. First, outline the cookie of the desired design, then fill it in. Let icing harden before serving. Cookies can be kept in an airtight container for 3 days. YUMMM! Inspired form Health.