- In Fall: I would add canned Pumpkin and also apples.
- In Winter: Persimmons.
- In Spring: Cherries.
- Then in Summer: fresh blueberries, peaches, and/or strawberries.
Just when you thought a parfait had nothing more to offer, I went and put on my thinking cap! This is a super delicious and healthy way to start your day. I promise you will be full all the way until lunch and you will feel energetic and charged. Hey, this is also ideal for an afternoon pick-me-up that we all need as well, say around 3 pm, right? What in the heck are those "black pecks/dots" in the yogurt you ask? No they are not bugs! They are chia seeds. If you are not familiar with Chia seeds-well my friends, take notes. Chia seeds are a super food in my book. Chia is very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, even more so than flax seeds. And it has another advantage over flax: chia is so rich in antioxidants that the seeds don't deteriorate and can be stored for long periods without becoming rancid. Did you know that? (Most don't know about flax seeds because no one tells you!) And, unlike flax, they do not have to be ground to make their nutrients available to the body. That is a key reason why I love them! Chia seeds also provide fiber (25 grams give you 6.9 grams of fiber) as well as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, niacin, and zinc. Are you sold yet? This breakfast (or power snack) is easy to make and if you are looking for a healthy "pick-me-up," look no further. I plan on making this many times with other additions-all through the year.
1 Super Parfait
- 1 greek yogurt, divided- fat-free, 1%, or 2% are all great
- Dash of cinnamon, for yogurt-stir in
- 1/2 tbs chia seeds, for yogurt-stir in
- 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup dried fruit, divided- or any fruit you have is great
- 2-3 tbs walnuts, divided- or any nuts you have
- Drizzle of agave-or you can use honey or maple syrup
- Grab a fancy serving dish. Stir in a dash or two of Cinnamon with the chia seeds to the yogurt; mix well. In the glass, start by layering the bottom with half the yogurt. Add the full amount of brown rice, then half of the dried fruit, then sprinkle with half of the nuts. Repeat layer. Top with remaining dried fruit and walnuts. Garnish with some extra chia seeds and drizzle with your choice of agave, honey, or maple syrup. Enjoy!