Easter and Passover are fast approaching and I don't know about you but for me this means chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate! What's not to love about all the delicious treats that come along during this time of year. Like who doesn't love a chocolate Easter bunny or chocolate peanut butter egg, am I right? Easter is right up there with Halloween in terms of a "sugar overload" holiday and that my friends is not something that I am 100% down with. So as a true chocolate lover, I went ahead and created an incredibly rich chocolate treat that is also sugar-free as well!
- Over medium heat and a small pot, melt and combine the almond butter and coconut oil. To the same pot, add dried ingredients (cocoa powder, almond or coconut flour, sugar sub and salt) and stir until well combined.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly and test to determine if additional sweetener is needed. Add more if necessary.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and transfer to freezer to solidify, around 1-1 1/2 hours. Note: You can also pour the mixture in a mold and then place the coconut flakes after if you would like to skip the rolling into balls step.
- Once almost hard, remove bowl from freezer and form in the balls. Tip: wash your hands under cold water and wipe with dry paper towel to avoid coconut oil melting in hands. Next sprinkle with unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Next, place balls on a flat tray and return to the freezer for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!