Love those traditional Rice Crispy Treats but really love popcorn too, like me? Then this recipe is perfect for you. I use Popcorn instead of crispy cereal. Brilliant right? So great too if you have any left over popcorn (but honestly - when does that happen, right!). Then I add in some vanilla beans from a vanilla bean pod (I always have them in my kitchen!) and I use mini M & M's to flavor them right up. Yes Please! So incredibly EASY too.
About 16-20 Squares
- About 5 cups of homemade popcorn or can use pre-popped, (or 1 bag - 3.3 oz microwave popcorn), low-fat
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 vanilla bean pod, seeds scrapped out (can be optional-but it makes them go "hmmmm!")
- 3/4 cup mini M & M's (optional)
- (can also add-in anything you fancy)
- Coat a 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pop your popcorn. If using microwave popped popcorn, check to make sure you’ve taken out all the un-popped kernels. You can also use already popped popcorn too. Do the same thing. (I use homemade).
- (You can do this next step over a stove top or the microwave. If using the stove top, you make sure you use a Large pot. I like the microwave).
- Place your butter in a Large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 35-45 secs until melted.
- Add your marshmallows to the butter. Stir to coat with the butter. Microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes, stirring after about 45 secs. Next add in your vanilla beans (from the pod). Stir to make sure the marshmallows are fully melted. Add your popcorn and stir carefully to avoid a big mess. Next, gently stir in the mini M & M's if using. As soon as you can - place this mixture to your baking dish.
- Place a big piece of plastic wrap over the mixture. Press the popcorn mixture into the pan with your hands over the plastic wrap. Press as hard as you can but without crushing everything.
- Let cool completely before slicing. You can refridgerate now too. Enjoy!